Saturday, January 7, 2012

2011 Year In Review / 2012 Preview

I figured I should quickly wrap up last year and set some goals for 2012.  First, the year in review:

The Good:

  • UROC- One of my best races ever at the highest profile race of my life, earning the last podium spot
  • 14 races (most since HS or college?), 10 trail races, 6 ultras, 4 wins (SweetH20 was highlight), 2 CR
  • Set World Record as part of 100x5k GTC team.  Not often you can say you own a WR!  Also set my 5k PR at that event, as well as setting 3 other PR’s during the year
  • Ran 3769 miles (72 mpw), highest ever by a large margin and meeting my 3000 mile goal
  • Completing Foothills Trail on first attempt, in the second fastest time ever

The Bad:

  • DNF at Old Dominion 100.  Not much to say here, other than that I learned a lot about mental toughness and the importance of goals.  Part of that learning was reflected in my later MMTR 50 finish, which I wouldn’t have finished without OD100 experience.  I’m proud of toughing out that MMTR.
  • Didn’t reach my goal of finishing 100 mile race (see item above)

The Random:

  • I think I own 20 pairs of active running shoes
  • Pace per mile of races: fastest of 5:10, slowest of 14:09
  • Had a great time running new East Coast trail races and meeting new people.

Looking ahead to 2012:

Goals- run at least 3300 miles, set 2 PR’s, win 2 races, top 5 finish at competitive West Coast race

Race schedule:

Spring- Harbison 50k (oops- DNS due to sickness), Uwharrie 40, and Jones Gap 15k as lead up to Umstead 100, with goal of sub-15 hrs

After that?  Who knows- have 47 race possibilities on my schedule. Looking at Logan Peak, White River 50 or Waldo 100k in the summer, and Steamboat 100 or Georgia Jewel 100 or UROC 100k or Stump Jump 50k in the fall. Finishing with TNF 50EC Championship in San Fran at end of year.  I’m really debating between White River or Waldo- I’m planning to head west for one of them.  Both are known for being beautiful singletrack races.  Biggest difference is WR fits better in the schedule, but top 2 places at Waldo earns a spot at Western States.  Guess I’ll have to decide soon.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome year Jon. With the lack of snow this winter, maybe they won't have to change the courses for the western mountain races this year!

    Would be cool to see you mix it up at races like TNF50 this year. After UROC, you're not a darkhorse anymore, though! And that is a compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon, congrats on a great year!

    I've got a cousin in Greenville that I think I may try to visit in the near future. If I make it down that way, perhaps you can show me some local trails!

    Also, I'm headed out to White River this summer. Not sure on UROC (scheduling/recovery concerns), but it would be great to race against you again this year. Keep up the good work man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jake.

    Matt- if you ever make it to Greenville, definitely let me know. I'm undecided for WR vs. Waldo, but am always up for good races. Looks like you've got an ambitious schedule, too.

    ReplyDelete