I figured I should quickly wrap up last year and set some goals for 2012. First, the year in review:
- UROC- One of my best races ever at the highest profile race of my life, earning the last podium spot
- 14 races (most since HS or college?), 10 trail races, 6 ultras, 4 wins (SweetH20 was highlight), 2 CR
- Set World Record as part of 100x5k GTC team. Not often you can say you own a WR! Also set my 5k PR at that event, as well as setting 3 other PR’s during the year
- Ran 3769 miles (72 mpw), highest ever by a large margin and meeting my 3000 mile goal
- Completing Foothills Trail on first attempt, in the second fastest time ever
- DNF at Old Dominion 100. Not much to say here, other than that I learned a lot about mental toughness and the importance of goals. Part of that learning was reflected in my later MMTR 50 finish, which I wouldn’t have finished without OD100 experience. I’m proud of toughing out that MMTR.
- Didn’t reach my goal of finishing 100 mile race (see item above)
- I think I own 20 pairs of active running shoes
- Pace per mile of races: fastest of 5:10, slowest of 14:09
- Had a great time running new East Coast trail races and meeting new people.
Looking ahead to 2012:
Goals- run at least 3300 miles, set 2 PR’s, win 2 races, top 5 finish at competitive West Coast race
Spring- Harbison 50k (oops- DNS due to sickness), Uwharrie 40, and Jones Gap 15k as lead up to Umstead 100, with goal of sub-15 hrs
After that? Who knows- have 47 race possibilities on my schedule. Looking at Logan Peak, White River 50 or Waldo 100k in the summer, and Steamboat 100 or Georgia Jewel 100 or UROC 100k or Stump Jump 50k in the fall. Finishing with TNF 50EC Championship in San Fran at end of year. I’m really debating between White River or Waldo- I’m planning to head west for one of them. Both are known for being beautiful singletrack races. Biggest difference is WR fits better in the schedule, but top 2 places at Waldo earns a spot at Western States. Guess I’ll have to decide soon.